Monday, July 14, 2008

Module 4

Boolean Searching.
For this task, I used Dogpile advanced search options, adding specific "keywords", which I thought appropriate to what I was looking for. I used this task to help me towards my concepts assignment, keeping this in mind, i typed in "Internet Metaphors" and added the keywords "communication" "differentiation" and "use" which gave me the results below:
As you can see, this search tells me which search engines the respective sites were found, but doesn't tell me how many hits there were. I decided to use Google advanced search options as well, here are the results:
This search brought about basically the same results, however, the search enginesw aren't noted, but there is a hit count. Boolean searching brings about more options for searches, by using specific keywords or in fact omitting some words enables a search to bring you closer to the exact type of article or site you are looking for. I already had experience with this type of searching, however didn't know it was called "boolean searching"


No comments: