Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Searching the Web

Search Engine Task.
For this task, we were asked to do a search using words of our own choosing, using our regular search engine as well as a meta search engine and record the results.
My regular search engine is google, I did a search using the following words "Internet Metaphors", here is a screenshot of the results:
As you can see, there were many hits,1,920,000 to be exact. The first hit is titled "making sense of the web:a metaphorical approach"

Using a meta search program, specifically MetaCrawler, I conducted a search using the same words. Again I have a screenshot of the results:

Using meta crawler brought 54 hits, the first hit is the same as that using google "making sense of the web:a metaphorical approach" There are alot less hits using metacrawler, I think this is based on the fact that it is a more specific search. For me, at first glance, meta crawler provided the more promising of the two, from what I first saw, the information offered by the hits in web crawler seemed more relevant to my search.




No comments: